Friday, February 13, 2015

What to do if you only have a day in Kyoto

This post is in continuation of my Arashiyama Bamboo Garden and Tenryu-ji Temple blog. After spending the whole morning in Arashiyama, I headed to Ktano-Hakubaicho to see Kinkaku-ji (Temple of the Golden Pavilion) via Randen train.





From there, I stopped over a small restaurant and had a miso soup and rice toppings for $550 yen. After having my lunch, I rode bus 201 (you can also ride 101, 102 or 204) and paid 230 yen. Prepare exact fare as the driver cannot break your money unless its 1000 yen bill.
From the bus stop, cross the street and park your bikes before entering the Kinkaku-ji temple grounds. It was past 11 am and people started pouring. Entrance fee is 600 yen.

Most students also visit this shrine to learn about their culture (how I wish I can understand what their teacher is telling them about the place. 

The top two stories of the pavilion are covered with pure gold leaf. The pavilion functions as a shariden, that houses the Buddha's ashes.

It is hard to get a nice spot since there is a huge crowd, luckily, I was able to get these shots:



There are some interesting stuff inside the temple like prayer candles:



I spent only an hour in Kinkaku-ji temple as there are lots of people.


I hopped on a bus 201 to Nijo castle. I paid 230 yen again.

Entrance fee is 600 yen. The whole castle and its garden is so big, it took me two hours walking around the area, it was lovely though especially the graden. Also note, taking photos is prohibited inside the castle.

Nijo Castle is a UNESCO World Heritage site and It was built as the residence of the Tokugawa Shoguns in Kyoto.




The garden in this castle is wonderful as well and too bad my camera’s battery died. 





I spent an hour resting in a refreshment area in the castle ground - which was filled with tourist and students. 

Souvenir stamp, anyone?


At 3pm, I decided to head to Fushimi Inari. From Nijo castle, I rode Karasuma Oike (subway) to Sanjo. From Sanjo, I took a JR Inari line. By 4pm I am already greeted by large crowd in Fushimi Inari shrine.



Before climbing to the top, I stopped over and tried Takoyaki!





Foxes (kitsune), regarded as the messengers are found in Inari shrines. One attribute is a key (for the rice granary) in their mouths (from wikipedia).







 Inari is the god of rice and is the patron of business. Merchants and manufacturers have traditionally worshipped Inari and each of the torii at Fushimi Inari Taisha is donated by a Japanese business. 







I was too tired to climb to the top so after an hour trek, I called it a day and headed back to Inari station back to Kyoto station.


In Kyoto station, I went to 10th floor where Ramen Koji is located, you can find small nice restaurants here.

On the next posts, I'll be taking you to Takayama and Shirakawa-go!

No comments:

Post a Comment